Thursday, August 21, 2008

I Think I Can

Ok, so here's my chance. My chance to be a better wife and mother. About 3 weeks ago I blogged about Seth having to work all weekend and how I just didn't know how I could possibly do it. Blah blah blah. So that weekend he actually didn't end up having to work as much as we thought and I got bailed out. I didn't have to prove myself. I whined and got my way (although it had nothing to do with my whining, just pure luck.)

But no one's coming to my rescue this weekend. Seth's gone. He's running a big race up in Portland and I am all alone.... as "all alone" as you can be with 3 kids hanging on your legs. So instead of pouting about it all weekend, I'm just going to keep myself nice and busy and enjoy my children. I mean really enjoy them. Watch them play and join in.

I was in Circle K this morning with Kimball and Luc and the checker said "oh man I had to have my kids really far apart so that I could work." To which I responded, "I'm really lucky I get to stay home with them." Her response was "oh I couldn't handle staying home, my kids would drive me nuts." How sad. Sad for her, sad for her kids. There are very few jobs that I would trade for being a mom and I can guarantee you one of them would not be a Circle K cashier. No offense to working moms I can't imagine how hard that is but come on, you'd rather work because your kids annoy you, sad, very very sad.

So back to what I was saying, I want to keep busy this weekend. We have playgroup tomorrow and I might take them to the play area at the mall. There will definitely be some swimming. But what else? What is the one thing you love doing with your kids or watching your kids do?

12 comments:

paula said...

Okay, I've been sitting here trying to think of what I did with the kids when they were smaller and we were home without dad alot during tax season. They always loved crafts, construction paper, cooking something,frosting cookies. The museum for youth in Mesa has always been a favorite for my kids, lots of hands on. Enjoy the unstructured time while dad is gone.

paula said...

I thought of one more. Take them to the mall and let them run around in the play area, get a happy meal in the food court, stroll around, browse.

Melquiades said...

A mis hijos les gusta ir de compras. Vamos al centro comercial y les digo que vamos a ver cosas que le gustan a papi, despues vamos a ver cosas que les gustan a ellos.

Comemos en McDonalds o Burger King

Tambien les encantan los parques.

Durante el invierno cae mucha nieve aqui entonces disfrutamos del "sledding" y otras actividades similares. Quizas este ano intentaremos esquiar.

Comprendo lo que dices pero tambien lo que dice la cajera en Circle K. Para mi era un poco dificil disfrutar de mis hijos a causa de que siempre estaba ocupado. Ahora que solamente los veo los fines de semana y algunas noches realmente trato de disfrutar todo el tiempo que estamos juntos.

XO said...

We love the library - ours has a great play area with puzzles and tables set up. And yet, I only have the one kid.... I dunno how three children, one parent and a quiet place add up yet.

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

hmmm, during tax season when Randy was gone all the time Britton & I would venture to all the different kiddie attractions around town. I had to get out because the more we were home the more he was climbing up the walls. Try making a fun dinner - we found individual pizza crusts at the grocery store the other day & we're going to have mini pizza's for dinner tonight. Your girls would prob have a blast making their own pizza's. Check out a childrens museum, zoo, parks, McDonalds Playland (it always wears B out), etc - obviously it was a bit different since during tax season this year it was freezing & we did as much indoors as we could, and Britton is a bit younger than your girls & into very different things.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have a great weekend with the kiddos' (and be SO ready for Seth to come home).

Nicki said...

I wish we lived closer so we could be race widows together! Ben owes you big time for taking Seth this weekend. I saw a show the other day where the kids painted with chocolate and vanilla pudding on paper and then used it as body paint. The parents then hosed them off, it looked like a lot of fun. Good luck with your kids and pray that I don't go into labor in the next two days :)

Anonymous said...

What do I like doing with the kids? I like spying on the girls when they play barbies or dolls. So hilarious.

Marie said...

Singing or dancing, (or both) Grace likes to listen to "pretty music" which is whatever is in the CD player. Sometimes we'll do an exercise dvd, and it's really funny watching Grace try and do it. But with her that only lasts like 10 min.

Julianne said...

We are enjoying doing puzzles and playing games together. Kyler loves to figure out where pieces go in the puzzle and then he & max love to take it apart and do it again. I am getting tired of the 2 puzzles that we have but hey, they are entertained!

Breanne said...

I know there are tons of things in this city to do for kids if you look into it ... like I know the Phoenix Childrens Museum just reopened - but those kinds of things would probably be much easier with both parents around...
I bet the girls would have fun creating some sort of poster or craft to welcome back and congratulate their dad. Have fun! Oh yah - and you could do mini-Olympic races/obstacles with the girls (while you keep watching the Olympics) to keep everyone happy and busy :)

Breanne said...

Hey, are you still alone tomorrow? - Or is Seth coming home? I would call you but it's late and I forgot to call earlier, but we wanted to invite you guys over for dinner tomorrow, if you're by yourself or if Seth is back - either way. I'll give you a call tomorrow (don't worry about it if you just want family time alone though).

Jenna said...

Well, I am a little late seeing as how the weekend is over but oh well. Aaron and I build forts and play imaginary games (generally involving monsters or bears that are chasing us--his idea, not mine). Aaron loves cooking too bothe real and pretend.