Sunday, August 17, 2008

Espanol

Hablo espanol. I have my degree in Spanish. I love Spanish. I love that I speak Spanish, it's probably one the few things that I am truly proud of (besides my offspring and spouse.) I'm sad and nervous about my Spanish speaking abilities. From the time I got home from my mission until we moved to Arizona I spoke it on a very regular basis. I've been here for 3 years and used my Spanish probably a total of 10 times. It makes me sick to think about losing it. So as a stay-at-home mom who has very little contact with the outside world (besides church) how do I find ways to use it? I have thought of reading books in Spanish, which is a good idea and I need to follow through with that but that doesn't help my speaking. There has to be something. Help!!!

9 comments:

XO said...

My dad spoke Portuguese on his mission and his only way to keep up with it for all these years was reading the Book of Mormon in Portuguese (he would read out loud) and sometimes he would do our family prayer in Portuguese (while we all died laughing). He's been home from his mission for 30 years, I've been home 5 and he speaks better than I do. Grrr.

Jenna said...

Call Carl...he has the same dilemma and is dying to speak Spanish to someone, anyone. Also, you could teach me...I've been thinking about learning (I'm a French speaker and very not good)

Bianca said...

start speaking spanish to your kids. no english. then you and your kids will speak it fluently.

Melquiades said...

Give me a call.
315-542-8714

I happen to be a Spanish professor so I know a little.

Melquiades said...

Después de haber escrito mi último comentario pensé que quizás lo debería haber escrito en español. Además de hablar podemos corresponder a través de email o IM. Si quieres leer libros te recomiendo las novelas de Isabel Allende.

Hasta pronto.

Shannon said...

Denise--Here's a mouthful for you:)John also has his degree in Spanish. He's been home from his mission for 10 years and natives still tell him he sounds like a native speaker and that he speaks better than them. He's told me since he's been home his personal prayers have always been in Spanish. He has never said his personal prayers in Spanish. He always reads his scriptures in Spanish as well as the news and books from the library.
My dad is Mexican but didn't speak it to us growing up. I vowed I would make sure my kids did especially since John is fluent. I took it in college and have family that only speak Spanish. Here is what we've done as a family:
We pray in Spanish together, I say my personal prayers in Spanish also. Our family scripture study is in Spanish. We watch the news in Spanish, listen to the radio in Spanish. I read to Henry from Spanish books from the library. At home, John and I try and speak as much Spanish to each other as we can. Since we live in Arizona, there are Hispanics everywhere. When John is at the store he strikes up a conversation in Spanish with anyone. He has no fear and is so friendly. He also talks to strangers on the street. When Henry was in my stomach John spoke to him in Spanish. From the day he was born, he has only spoken Spanish. I figure any little bit helps. John tells me the key to keeping a language is use it everyday and find someone that is better than you at the language that way you are always progressing. Lots of things, sorry for that but I hope something is useful. I'm pretty passionate about our family speaking Spanish and it takes a concerted commitment and effort everyday.

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

I have the same problem. Spanish is my first language & I spoke fluently until I got to HS. Now my Spanish really struggles. We're trying to raise B to be bilingual and is picking up the Spanish quite well. We've started buying childrens books in Spanish - the classics (Eric Carle, Goodnight Moon, Dr Seuss, etc.) and I'll read them to B - but even that doesn't make up for good adult conversation. Good Luck keeping it up - it's hard.

Denise said...

Bueno, gracias por todo su ayuda. Empece hoy a hablar (mas) a los niños en espanol y puse la tele en un canal de espanol para, a lo menos, escucharlo un poco.

Shannon said...

You got it.Just watch out for those telenovelas...they're trashy Mctrashy!