Monday, January 5, 2009

Vacuum Woes

Just a quick question. How long should a vacuum last? Oh wait and one follow-up question. Is it worth it to go get a vacuum serviced or is it's lack of suckiness just due to old age?

Details: 5 year old Bissell Bagless Upright.

11 comments:

Amy said...

Have you cleaned it out good, changed belts, etc. Sometimes they just need a real good cleaning. ??? I don't know. Nothing seems to last like it use to. Ha ha. do i sound old or what?

Bianca said...

It's called "routine maintenance". If you service it, it will work. It's like changing the oil in your car say every 5,000 miles or so....

Ben Davis said...

Bring it by our apartment and I'll fix it for you.

Or have it serviced. Service will cost you way less than a new vaccuum. And most of the time it is simple stuff that you can do yourself.

Leah said...

Check the belt mine stopped sucking and it just needed a new belt.

Patrick and Kiana said...

hey,I dont know what to say about your vacume I just wanted to say Hi and let you know I found your blog. Your family is getting so big and they are cute.

Denise said...

Ok Ok I'll see about getting it serviced. I did try to clean it myself but it only helped for about 10 minutes and then it was back to it's whimpy ways.
Seth says if the service costs more than half what it would cost to buy a new one then we aren't doing it. But Seth has a skewed view of prices today. First off he swears we only paid $40 for it new. He's dreaming. He also thinks you should be able to get a hotel room for less than $50. I swear he should have been born in the 50s.

Janalee said...

Seth is so funny. I have a cousin with a husband like that and let's just say she has a secret closet filled with all kinds of things she's secretly boughten over the months and will casually place around the house one at a time hoping he won't notice and ask how much it was and where did she get it.

Do you resort to such tactics? Not that you'll admit it here cause he reads.

paula said...

We have never had much luck with vaccums. I guess maybe we should have sprung for one of those expensive ones.

I have repaired my own before, taking off the bottom, finding the broken part, ordering it and then replacing it. I know, you're impressed. I just like taking things apart to see how they work.

XO said...

My parents always had there's "serviced" and I swear it still never worked. I swore to only ever buy the "upper-lower-class" vacuums and to know how to change the belts and clean the filters. It's worked swell. Good luck with that.

I may just get desperate enough to drive across the valley for a babysitting swap too. Everyone here has family and therefore free babysitting. Ugh.

Garretts said...

I think I only paid $35 for my vacum 4 years ago and it still works pretty good. I'm not sure yours is one that has a bag, but I've noticed that when mine seems to be slowing down it's time for a new bag.
Juliana

Hall Family said...

HEY!!! I Have that vaccuum!!! And mine sounds like it's yours' twin! I clean it out in all the different places (filters yada yada yada) and it still sounds like it's on its last leg, and not really doing the job! Hope you've found a solution by now ;)