Seth has this sweet job where they only work 34.5 hours a week. Fridays are "Family Friendly Fridays" so they only work half day. Which is awesome. It makes our weekends seem so much longer. Usually he works until noon except once every 8 weeks when he takes the late shift and works 12:30-5. So that leads me to my simple pleasures. We slept in until almost 8 and had a fairly lazy morning and then I took a shower. Before 10 am, I took a shower! And it was almost completely uninterrupted. I even shaved my legs. There was no one in there with me telling me that I was hogging all the hot water (Kimball), there was no one sitting on the bathroom floor crying because I won't let him play in the toilet (Luc) and not once did anyone come in screaming because they were positive that someone is knocking on the front door (McKay). Kimball did come in the bathroom at one point and ask me if I needed any help, but I assured her that I was fine and she left to go pester someone else. It was sweet, sweet bliss. So that got me thinking, what are my favorite simple pleasures? Not like a massage or a pedicure because while those are certainly pleasurable they cost money and anything that costs money is anything but simple in my opinion. Too much worry about where else that money could be spent. So here are three of my favorites:
1. Uninterrupted Showers. (must be more than 5 minutes long and include hot hot water and a freshly laundered towel)
2. Silence. I love hearing my children laugh and be cute but at the end of a long day, I love to just hear nothing.
3. Non-committal back rubs. Its just nice sometimes to get a back rub from my hubby and know that there are no further obligations on my part, if you know what I mean.
What are your simple (free) pleasures?
10 comments:
Amen to #3
I hear you on the shower thing - Avery likes to line up all the bottles on the floor so there is no room for my feet :)
One of my simple pleasures is driving. I love it when the kids are quiet (usually watching a movie) and not telling me what song they want to listen to. I love to just turn the music up and drive as fast as I safely and somewhat legally can.
i think the showers or just a trip to the bathroom alone altogether, sometime colton watches and follows me a little too much!! ha ha
ok--the bathroom thing has been amply covered. Shower, toilet time, whatever, just private
that rare window when all needy children/adults are napping at the same time
adult game night (playing games with adults, not adult-content games, just to clarify)
The last can be accomplished in St George, in April, are you ready?
Number One is one of my all time favorites because, in our house, Number Three doesn't exist.
hahaha I totally agree with all of yours! ESPECIALLY #3, which is why it is very rarely i even get a back rub! I want to add to your number two though: uninterupted silence, for reading. I love to read, and it always happens that the kids come in (or the cute hubby)and NEED me especially at the most climatic parts of the book!
Now that my little ones are becoming less little, my simple pleasure is when little Liz runs up and squeezes me to pieces. I LOVE THAT!
Simple pleasures:
#1 -- completely agree with your #1. I have to take my showers at night in order to get this simple bliss daily. I feel like I'm washing the day away. Not that it was necessarily a bad day, but that all the cares of the day are over and I can relax and go to sleep.
#2 -- Ah, how I look forward to bedtime. I love the silence mostly because no one needs me. I can hang out with the hubby or have alone time.
#3 -- A wonderful walk on days that are just right. I love to go outside when the weather is not too hot and not too cold and soak in the wonderful breezee or sunshine.
I think I listed 3 simple pleasures + like 100 or something in my 'Things that make me happy' post a while back, so I will spare even trying to think of only three again.
And I am glad to see there is a general consensus on #3!
1. Listening to Jordon giggle, I mean when something really gets him going and he is laughing hysterically.
2. When Sterling and I are walking along somewhere and he reaches over and ever so sweetly, takes my hand in his.
3. A clean room, you know, right after you have finished cleaning up and you sit down to soak in the splendor, before someone comes along to destroy it.
Post a Comment