About 3 weeks ago after getting really tired of A) being woken up in the middle of the night and B) tripping over children sleeping on the floor next to our bed, we pulled out all the stops. We told the girls if they could stay in their bed for 5 consecutive days we would do something "special" with them. They perked right up. McKay decided she would want to go to the snow and Kimball, sweet, sweet Kimball said she wanted to go trick-or-treating.
It took a total of 5 days to accomplish that. No starting over. Apparently they were capable of it all along, they just needed the right incentive.
I took these pictures on the "snow" setting on my camera,
silly me I thought that meant I could take pictures in the
snow and they would turn out.
and let him play in the snow anyway.
I love their outfits, all borrowed from those who love their
kids enough to take them to snow on a regular basis
to do with the fact that he was using socks as gloves.
That's ok though because he loves nothing more
than playing in the car.
McKay said her favorite part of snow was that it tasted like slurpies....?



Nana and Papa were very kind and not only allowed
trick-or-treaters in January but also called two friends who
let us come bug them too.
Nana even dressed up and put out some Halloween decorations.
Nana even dressed up and put out some Halloween decorations.
10 comments:
That is awesome. You have some great grandparents to pull that off.
Hurray! Love it when we accomplish something important like independence. Bribery is a great tool. How fun to have Halloween in January?
That is amazing! And so great that Kimball wanted to go trick or treating.
I can't wait until we get Parenting 102.
I love your posts. They just make me laugh. I can't believe you actually did the whole trick or treating business. I would probably just have told my child to pick something else since Halloween isn't until October. You are so creative!!!
now there's a smart mom. too bad we transfer some qualities to our kids, huh? it would be so much easier if you could just be smart and they could be dumb and you could get them to do whatever you wanted at all times. of course, it wouldn't be near as much fun or rewarding when you outsmarted them - as in this case. nice going.
So what's the plan when parenting 101 fails during potty training? Other than that, I aced parenting 101 long, long ago. We don't even call it bribery anymore, we just call it common sense! ;)
I just admitted to bribing my children and allowing them to endulge in candy and you all act like I'm a wonderful parent... what good friends.
As for potty training, I forgot to give that disclaimer, there are no tips for potty training. It's one of those courses we would all love to take but nobody is willing to teach.
You are the cutest mom! What fun ideas for "bribery." :)
Just a word........
Bribes are something you give to someone to do something illegal or immoral.
On the other hand.......
Positive reinforcement was what you did. A reward for behavior that you want to continue.
:)
FYI: From Webster's Dictionary
Bribe
1 : money or favor given or promised in order to influence the judgment or conduct of a person in a position of trust
2 : something that serves to induce or influence
So it's both. I'm way too competitive for my own good.
Post a Comment