After dropping Seth off at work yesterday (after lunch) McKay said "mom what is dad doing?" I replied with the same answer I do everytime we leave him at his office "he's working sweety." To which she dared to ask "mom do you EVER work?"
Do I work? Do I work? Are you home with me every day? Do I slave over you? Do I attend to your every need and want? How dare you ask if I work. Count to ten Denise and calmly answer your sweet little child's innocent question.
"Sweety, I work at home. You know how mommy does dishes and laundry and cleans and gives you food when you want it and takes care of you? That's my work."
"Yeah but do you GO to work?"
Breath, breath it's ok, someday 20+ years from now when she's a mother she'll finally understand.
"Sweety who would watch you and take care of you if I went to work?"
"A babysitter"
"Do you want a babysitter to be with you everyday or do you want mommy?" (did I really just ask that question? Brace yourself for the answer.....)
"You mommy."
End of conversation. Does she appreciate all the things I do? Probably not as much as I would like but does she want me home with her? Yes. Then it's all worth it. (Most of the time.)
4 comments:
Tough conversation topic there. Crazy how early kids pick up on things isn't it? Good thing she picked you over a babysitter, not sure I want to know where the conversation would have gone from there.
When I told my classes that I wouldn't be teaching next year, they wondered why, so I said it was so I could stay home with my girls. To which they replied," Just take them to the babysitter." "Have their grandma watch them." and my favorite,"don't you like us?"
Well, yes, but I like my own kids better than you.
Sweetheart, if mommy wasn't home all day, then who would check and read everybody's blogs? Do you think a "babysitter" is capable of such things? I didn't think so.
Denise - your kids are so funny. I can't wait until James can talk such nonsense, but i'm sure it go the opposite way. James will probably think the babysitter is his mom and i'm the babysitter.
Post a Comment