Monday, July 14, 2008

5 AM!

Last night I decided to take precautions against the early rising of my children. I put curtains up in their room to block the sun from rousing them at the wee hours (and by "put" I mean I took some curtains that I haven't hung yet and draped them over the top of the blinds.) Then I settled in for a nice long sleep.

When Kimball wondered in at 5 I was sure she just needed a drink or to go potty, certainly she couldn't be ready to get up, it's the middle of the night for crying out loud!!! Nope. She was done. Seriously, 5AM!!! Give me a break.

I realize that some of you are wonderful mothers who get up nice and early as to have moments of peace before your little darlings arise, I'm sure their hot breakfast is awaiting them at whatever hour they decide to grace you with their presence and I'm proud of you, but I don't aspire to your greatness... I like me sleep and I like it as long as it can possibly last.

11 comments:

Amy said...

Reminds me of the roommate I once had....
I love my sleep too!

The Young's said...

Oh, I feel your pain. Mattson was up at 4am, with a fever! :( Didn't get back to sleep until after 5am...and then back up by 7:15!

Hopefully they'll ALL want to take LONG naps today!

Erin said...

I feel your pain! My girls do the same thing! Sarah rises bright and early and so happy. I'm not a morning person! If we make them go back to bed, they get up every half hour to see if it's time to get up yet. Ugh! Like I said, I feel your pain! :)

Unknown said...

I have learned that I am "mean mommy" when I don't get enough sleep...Aaron is learning that as well. That's my hardest adjustment in motherdom is the loss of sleep thing!

Breanne said...

Rrrrr!! I like *ME* sleep as well!

Kim said...

Denise - I too can relate. Except we are too poor to buy curtains for Henry's room - so his window is barricaded with pillows and blankets. He is such an early riser - but at least not 5 am. Too early!!!
By the way - I love the new picture on your header. It is adorable.

Anonymous said...

Do what I did. I set up the tv station the night before to channel 8. I showed Jonas what button to push on the remote to turn the tv on. Now he just gets up, grabs his juice in the fridge, turns on the tv and hopefully its not too early (because if its too early, his shows aren't on) and I get at least another 45min of sleep. So I know I wont get any Mom awards for this, but I stopped feeling bad about it awhile ago when I was getting more sleep :)

XO said...

Well, you know how it was dragging a kid to work. And now that I don't do that anymore, Ben still wants to get up early....but Joel just puts a couple of toys in his crib when he goes to bed and we pretend not to hear him when he gets up :) Of course that won't work with multiple kids, so I'm trying not to think about it...

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

I'm right there with you on needing sleep and loving my sleep! I'm not one of those wonderful mothers that is up way before their kids - nope, I usually get up when I hear him getting up & even then I'll sometimes just let him play in his crib until he cries just to get an extra few minutes in.

Bianca said...

Early is relative.
Meg - that is a great idea. How do you teach a 7 month old that?

Denise said...

Well at least I'm in good company. I have tried the go watch tv method but my girls are very needy, they come and bug me evrey ten minutes or so and I finally just give in...

Amy- What i would give to be your roommate again for just one day and sleep in 'til 11 or 1 or whatever time it was that my first class started!!!