Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I'm coming...

I have become my mom. My mom is wonderful in so many ways. Her faith is astounding. She is a loving and kind person in so many ways. She's about as innocent as a person at her age can be. Too bad these are not the ways in which I am emulating her. Not that she has any huge faults or shortcomings but the little things that she did while I was growing up that drove me nuts because I was a really really smart kid and I knew that my way was better... well now I've taken to doing those "little things."

There are quite a few of them but lately one has been overly apparent. I cannot for the life of me say "time to go" and walk out and get in the car and drive away. Seth's work is approximately 10-12 minutes drive from here so why do I have to "start" leaving at 3:30 in order to maybe get there by 4:00.

Let me just tell you why... here's how it goes: I send the girls out first because it takes them so long to get buckled (or because they have me figured out.) Grab Luc and my first load of "whatever" take him out (I don't even bother shutting the front door on this first departure.) I buckle him in, yell at the girls to get buckled and go back in for whatever else I forgot, usually a bottle or sippy cup, come back out and lock the door (which I know is a bad idea but I do it on the off chance that I might actually get in the car and drive away.) I then get in the driver seat, ask the girls why they still aren't buckled and promise something if they can please buckle before I start driving, and either rifle through my purse looking for my keys or get back out to see if I'm sitting on them which I usually am. Then I start the car, here we go, oh wait I promised the girls a movie if they buckled themselves before I was ready to drive away. So I get out of the car go back inside search for a dvd that they will both be happy with, run to the bathroom (because when I started leaving I didn't have to go that bad but now I'm pushing my luck), and then it's back out to the car. On a good day, that's it. On an average day I'd probably go back inside at least one more time and on a bad day at one or both of the girls also needs to use the bathroom and we start the whole process over again.

So I concede. Mom, you win. In this case, you were right. Or justified or whatever. I will hold on to hope that when my kids are old enough to be annoyed by this I won't do it but I'm assuming that by then it will be a habit and I won't know how to walk out of the house and get in the car. What now bugs me to death will probably be my norm. Such is life.

3 comments:

XO said...

I do the same thing (as did my mother). Yesterday Joel finally got to witness it first hand - I must have come back in AT LEAST three times before actually driving away... only to do a loop around the block and come back inside for the diaper bag. Ugh.

Jenna said...

(cannot*stop*laughing)I can't tell you how many times I get halfway up the street before I turn around and come back for: (insert anything here). My neighbors probably think I am nuts when they see my car pull into the driveway four times in as many minutes. The thing that kills me is that with each kid, the process should only increase in a simple mathematic way (add a kid, add a trip) but instead it multiplies exponentially. What used to be a ten-ish minute process should only have doubled with two, but no, it now takes us about a half an hour to actually get on the road (on a good day). Good grief.

Janalee said...

that kind of stuff never happens to me because I am The Perfect Mom.

And don't you forget it.