Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Little Luc

Just before heading to the hospital.

Luc Steven Avey - 7lbs. 11oz. - 21.25 in.

The girls love Luc.

Beautiful Baby - Beautiful Mom



Well she did it! Denise finally had Luc and we couldn't be happier. I'm sure most of you know by now, but Denise had the baby on Friday morning. (No the Qwest guy still hasn't shown up so I'm posting a little from work.) On Thursday Denise started contracting more often and more regularly throughout the day. By the time I got off work we had told her parents that we would head to the hospital in a few hours. So Denise took a turn or two around the yard to keep the contractions coming and we went to Panda Express for some fuel. Then we headed to the hospital.

When we got to the hospital they checked her and said that she was only at a 3! Denise was distraught to say the least. The triage nurse told her that if she wasn't at a 4 in an hour that she would have to send her home. Then she told us to start walking the halls and stairs to help things along. Denise was a real trooper and she put in a solid hour of walking and marched up and down about 14 flights of stairs. When the nurse checked her again she was at a 5. Thank goodness! I don't know what would have happened if they'd sent us home.

So they checked us into our room and started some pitocin and epidural. Denise was very greatful for the epidural. The doctor was awesome and she was even relaxed enough to rest for a couple of hours. We thought the pitocin would get things moving more quickly, but nothing major happened until I was out in the car catching an hour of sleep at 4:45 AM (the room was a little crowded with both of Denise's parents and her sister who has had 4 boys, but never seen a birth). I got a call on my cell phone that she was finally at a 10 and they were going to call the doctor.

Dr. Simon came in at about 6:45, prepped Denise, she pushed about 6 times and out popped Luc at 7:16. And I mean popped. On the last push Denise launched him out and the doctor had to literally catch him in the air. I've never seen anything like it.

Luc looked pretty crazy at first (like all babies), but now he's great. He's actually headed to his first doctor's appointment now. Denise is doing really well too. Her mom is in town through today and then my mom will come and help on Wednesday and Thursday. McKay and Kimball love Luc! They want to hold him and touch his face. Now we just need to work on being gentle around the baby!

7 comments:

Janalee said...

congrats! so do you swear by the castor oil method now?

And I specifically requested ugly post-birth pictures of the mom, denise you look too good.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! We're so happy for you! :) The Turleys

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

Congratulations! He's adorable (just like your girls)! Keep the pics coming! We can't wait to meet Luc!

Shannon said...

congrats!!!! Yeah! Denise you look so great! That is not aloud... we want to see some hag , just gave birth pictures. Maybe some of us don't appear that way after birth--good for you.

Breanne said...

Yes, Denise - I can't believe you're smiling in the pic where you about to head to the hospital.
And also - 14 flights of stairs!! That is some shear (sp?) motivation!!!!

We are so happy for you!!

(I can come help next week after Paul's parents leave town on Tuesday).

Kim said...

Congratulations! He's beautiful.

Denise said...

Thanks everyone. You're too kind, I can't believe seth put those pics on, he obviously didn't ask permission.