Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Quick Fix

Along with all my nesting has come a deep desire to get my house "updated" a bit. There are some major things I would love to do (new carpet, gut the kitchen, take out a wall, completely re-landscape the backyard, etc.) but am too cheap and unwilling to pay for right now so I have decided to do what I can with as little out-of-pocket expense as possible. Seth loves it. Ok, he doesn't. He's not a "handyman." And I'm pretty sure he has little desire to become one but he loves me and therefore puts up with my little projects.

This one was a one weekend deal. (Although for how exhausted we both were you would think we had worked on it for 10 days straight.) We gave the kitchen a face lift. It was much needed. My only regret is that I didn't take any "before" pictures. Close your eyes and imagine cream colored-paint peeling-dingy-dirty cabinets with "copper" knobs that we're so tarnished and old they looked like they were going to decompose in a matter of days. The walls were a boring tan that really just looked drab and tired. The dining room was burnt red below the chipped and peeling chair rail.


After trying a number of shades of brown for the walls (in an effort to coordinate with the tile counter top) I decided that they all looked like poop to me so I finally went way out of my comfort zone and tried a light/pale blue. We painted the cupboards a bright white. I love it. (We got a killer deal on the paint. HD was closing out some of their paint and we got it for $14/gallon. I want to go get more for our bathrooms but need to give Seth a few days before I even suggest more painting.) I scrubbed the knobs and then spray painted them black. I also bought (on clearance of course) some pulls to give it a little variety. It doesn't look like the new kitchen I am dreaming of (2-3 years down the road) but it's so much better than it was. I used to hate the tile on the counter tops (I still wouldn't choose it) but now it's bearable. And the whole kitchen is so bright. I can't believe how much lighter it is in there. So here is our weekend update.




So this begs the question... What next? I have 7 more weeks to get things done. I guess putting up the crib should be a priority but that's not so much fun. I doubt I can convince Seth of any more painting. Hmmm. Maybe some yard work?

7 comments:

Erin said...

Looks awesome! I love it!

The Lewis's said...

it looks awesome denise

Amy said...

I love it! Doesn't it feel so good when it's all done and put together. I love the rug too.

Bj said...

Love it, it looks so much better!

Anonymous said...

I was going to make a funny comment about boycotting any further painting, but the kitchen looks so good after a new coat of paint that I might be talked into doing another room or two before the baby comes.

Any room would be easier than all of the nooks and crannies in that kitchen.

Hall Family said...

Fun! Haha and lots of work I'm sure! You guys did a great job!
You should check out the " better after" website. It has before and after pictures of all kinds of redos. I'm sure Seth will appreciate that! Haha I am avid reader of that website!

paula said...

I looks great. I love home improvement.