Tuesday, June 16, 2009

(not so) FUN MOM

I've decided of late that I should be a better mom. By better I really mean less cleaning and stressing over the little things and more time appreciating and enjoying my children. So with a house under contract and other such things put a side for the day I decided to be a "good mom" today. This is how it went:



Got up and gave them whatever kind of cereal they wanted with no pressure to make a healthier choice.



Sat outside with them while they played in the dirt and rocks in their pajamas. Even got down in the dirt with them and searched for rollie pollies.



Sat and watched a movie with them. (Ok, maybe not the WHOLE movie but I did sit with them until they were so engrossed they didn't notice me sneak away)



Tried to get some other things done, scheduled the home inspection, freaked out about the cost and then "let it go."



Made bread dough with the girls.



Read books to the girls (and didn't skip even one page!)



Made lunch (ok, heated up leftover mac n cheese but they ate lunch anyway.)



Put Luc down for a nap.



Took a shower.



Rolled out dough with the girls and let them make funny face rolls out of half the dough. I even let them cut out the rolls and butter them and put them on the pan. (Kimball loves cooking/baking and I'm working on letting her help more.)



Got quotes for homeowners insurance. (made the mistake of filling out a rates comparison thingy and ended up with about 6 consecutive phone calls from different companies)



Put the rolls in the oven and SET THE TIMER!



Got back on the phone/computer trying to understand what the heck we've gotten ourselves into with this whole home buying thing.

Smelled something almost burning... yelled at Kimball "did the timer go off?" "ya a while ago"

Nearly swore, as I grabbed the more brown than golden rolls out of the oven.

Played barbies with Kimball to make up for yelling at her for not telling me the timer went off.

Heard McKay say in response to a comercial on PBS, "that lady looks like a really fun mom!"

I GIVE UP!

10 comments:

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

i swear we can never win - but way to be! I'm trying every day to spend more time doing things that my boys want to do rather than what I think I should be doing & I have to admit it's really hard some days.

Jenna said...

That's just funny. Still, if your kids are healthy, fed, clothed (even in pj's), and loved then you are a GREAT mom.

Erin said...

I've decided that being a mom is so hard! We do the best we can. Some days are better than others.

Breanne said...

That cracks me up - what is going through kids heads? Ha, maybe she thought of it because she realized just how fun you had been!

(I'm sure her follow up phrase that went unsaid, but thoughtfully pondered was ... 'just like YOU Mom!') ;)

Congrats on the house! We'll keep our fingers crossed for you - I want to hear more about it!

Breanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Breanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Breanne said...

Sorry to give you a false sense of higher-numbered comments! My comment published 3x for some reason!

Janalee said...

that's so funny, I love the way you tell stories.

Hall Family said...

aaaah!!! I bet you're still a fun mom! But I know what you mean! my goal is to be a fun mom too, all it seems like I've done lately is yell at my kiddos....and well where's the fun in that?! Although, a lot of it is the whole not being settled bit...but we're trying. Today was their fun day at the park...and yet I still get grumbles about "its quiet time"....You win some and you lose some, I guess! hahaha :)

paula said...

Who is the antithesis of fun mom? Jordon says the opposite of fun is boring, so I doubt that you are boring mom. Overworked, overtired, overyoufillintheblank mom. Fun mom sounds like fun. Balance is tough. Can't be fun mom all the time, but you can bring her out to play some everyday. I need to do more of that too. Thanks for reminding me.