So here is my very short list of requirements as we begin our search:
- A DISHWASHER!! We've lived without one for over a year and I am done. Done. Done. I want something else doing the scrubbing. And no more drying dishes taking up my limited counter space.
- More space than we have now. Not too hard. The house we're in now is a measly 1060 sq. ft. I would like 4 bedrooms but I can deal with 3 if the rooms are just a tad bigger than most people's walk-in closet.
- No Pool. I think. Or maybe a pool. No wait, no pool. Oh but it's so nice having one. Oh but wait someone else maintains and pays for the maintenance of our pool So no pool. Right?
- Close to Seth's work. Which means in our price range we're staying right here in our neighborhood. Which is just fine because we just found out McKay got into this great school just a couple miles down the street. (meaning our in-district transfer was accepted)
So let me have it. Tell me what I need to know. The search begins this weekend as soon as Seth gets back from #2 of his 4 consecutive business trips.
8 comments:
oh wow, i can't believe it! that better mean you're staying in the ward
as long as it is in our ward i think all you demands work. i understand the dishwasher one!!!!!
I would say don't put too much pressure on yourselves in your decision making when you start out looking; you'll figure out what you want in a house the more you look.
Also, we sure like having a garage - you'll probably be looking at garage vs. carports I would guess? We don't mind having our washer/dryer in the garage as much as we thought we would. It's just nice to have them at all!
Desert landscaping is nice - having something lower maintenance like that, but I wish we had a grass spot in the backyard for Taya to play in. And we love having a pool, I only know a couple people who don't like owning one, but it's all personal preference I guess! It's just nice for cool down & entertainment. But if you get a house with one, just account for some pool maintenance in your price/budget - an added expense.
(I wish you guys moving back down here was a possibility :) )
So there you have it! Take it or leave it...
That's exciting! The timing for first time home buyers is so great right now!
Hey congratulations, big step, garage, need one, pool, don't ask me, very bitter, fourth bedroom or bonus room would be very nice, but a comfortable monthly payment is the only critical element. Make sure you find a realtor who will send someone to preview the homes so you're not dragging three kids through someone else's pigsty for a not so fun way to waste an afternoon. Yech. But that was in the dark ages, back in the day before digital photos and panoramic online walkthroughs so you're probably good. And while you're at it make sure it's an exclusive listing agreement so your realtor isn't representing you and the seller, BTDT, only in Utah, I swear.
Marji
Let's see:
We like having a pool, but I don't have the little ones. It is a sure way to get outside in the heat of summer.
Garage, yeah.
DW, definately.
This will sound corny, but think about how you feel in the house and what the potential is. Try not to look at the other peoples clutter.
Neighborhood, important.
Have fun and don't be in a hurry.
Thought of one more thing.
Write down the must haves, the maybes and the it would be nices, then you will have to figure out what you can't live without and what would be okay to not have.
Hooray for you! I'm dying to get into a house but I've had to convince myself that it's okay to rent until Larry is done w/ grad school.
But - we both agree that we don't want a pool. I don't want one because of the whole drowning issue. Larry grew up with one (no drownings there) but hated the expense and upkeep. We have started a list of things we do want in a home though, for whenever that day comes. Anyway - have fun house hunting and good luck!!
I agree with what Paula said. With both homes we bought we knew that we'd buy the house as soon as we stepped in the front door. We loved the feel of the home as soon as we stepped in and fell more in love with them as we actually saw them. A few things I wish we had in our house are. . . a front room (so when people come over they don't see the disaster that is our family room thanks to our wonderful kids), a fan in each bathroom (one of ours doesn't have one & boy do I wish it did), a dishwasher (is a must), garage (a must - at least here in UT it is, who wants to load their kids in the car in the snow or have to brush the car off), make sure you like the neighborhood and the overall feel of it - it'll help you feel more comfortable in your home once you're living there (at least that's how it is for me). Curb appeal is a big one for me - if I didn't like what the oustide looked like I wouldn't even look at the inside. And spend LOTS & LOTS of time looking @ the online tours & photos - that way you can narrow down walk through only the homes you LOVE rather than evey disgusting hole in AZ.
Good Luck you guys! Such a fun time. Hopefully you can find a place soon (can't wait for news)!
Post a Comment