I still feel a little sad that I didn't walk away from the day feeling like a really great mom who had just spent a wonderful fun day with my perfect children. But looking at this picture I refuse to let myself feel guilty. They had fun. They loved pretty much every minute of it. And really it's not about me. It was about them. Someday, I will have a spare day here or there where I can do "me" things and I'm sure it will be fun. But I'm also quite sure that I will really miss this.
7 comments:
That's so true, Denise. I really dislike the zoo. It smells bad & I feel bad for the caged animals. And also, my kids always think they want to go, but really they just want to complain when we get there about EVERYTHING. What they really want is for me to buy them an ice cream cone, pull them all over in the wagon, and then take them to the zoo shop. But I still do it because someday they won't want me to do stuff with them anymore.
I'm not a zoo mom either, but it's tolerable in good weather, like now.
On the plus side, I love the cute homemade Zoo 2009 t-shirts you crafted for them just for the trip! .....:)
I have felt the exact same way for awhile now - I love my kids, I love doing things for them that make them happy but I would LOVE to have some time just for myself and even more so, to not feel guilty about it. Maybe one day :)
Cute shirts! You're right about the times that things are for them! I think this particular post is funny, because when we were at the zoo last week, I got so mad at some adults because they were "hogging" all the animal watching space, and the little kids (ie: mine) couldn't see anything! I kept thinking the zoo is for the kids!! (they must have been uber-animal lovers...they were taking a hundred photos of each animal) I did realize too, that a lot of the exhibits weren't geared for little kids either. I was constantly having to pick Makaya up to see into someone's cage or tank...and so on. I felt bad for Makaya because I didn't think it was as fun as it could have been if she'd been able to see more! Anyway, I can relate a bit about the doing stuff for them, and making memories for them.
Well, good to hear we are all on the same page...
I love giving my kids good memories. Most of the time I just have to leave it at that because the actual making of those memories consists of a lot of running around, yelling at kids to get back here, and hauling all kinds of crap around. Not fun for me but worth it in the end right?
And there is no need to feel guilty about that.
Yes that day will come and faster then you think. There is nothing wrong with carving out a little me time. I remember when my kids were all little, I felt trapped, like I wanted to escape some days. I didn't and wish that I had. I think some mom's of young kids escape too much, but finding a happy balance of a little me time each week is healthy. Don't take yourself on the guilt trip, it's okay.
Aww - they really do look like they had fun! But you should have fun too. Don't feel guilty about doing something for yourself once in a while! Your sanity is worth it. :)
Post a Comment