On Labor Day weekend three years ago, Seth and I drove from Bountiful, Utah down to Cedar City, Utah. I was 8 months pregnant with Kimball. Seth's dad had been diagnosed with stage 4 Mantle Cell Lymphoma about 2 days earlier and on a whim we decided to meet his parents there for a weekend of ... relaxation? Reflection? Mutual sadness and depression? I'm not sure what our intent was, I think mostly we just wanted to be together. I remember going down to breakfast on Sunday morning with Steve (everyone else was fasting) and thinking "he looks really bad, how long can he possibly hold on?" I don't remember a lot about that weekend, in fact I asked Seth yesterday "what did we even do that weekend?" All I really remember is being so grateful that we had decided to have a 2
nd child so soon, I just wanted Steve to know Kimball and for us to be able to show her pictures with her Papa. As you can tell the prognosis was pretty grim. He now tells us in his mind and from the research he did and the little the
drs would tell him about his chances he thought he maybe had 3 years to live.
Fast-forward to Labor Day weekend 2008, Steve is healthy and cancer-free. So we had a party. He thought it was just family but we invited a few other families that were right there with us through the whole horrific 2 1/2 year ordeal and celebrated life. Miracles happen. This one wasn't an "overnight go back to the
dr and the cancer is gone" kind of miracle, it took a lot longer than that. But thanks to amazing
drs, Steve's will to survive, a
german donor who was willing to give part of herself and lots and lots of prayer and fasting, we got to see how miracles happen.
Transplant Day - 1 year after diagnosis
Happy 3 Years!!!
Steve also beat melanoma 10+ yrs ago
Luc "Steven" Avey - named after Papa.

9 comments:
Thanks for sharing. It is always nice to be reminded of miracles, and the power of prayer and fasting. I am so happy that he is cancer free and healthy, and that your kids get to have their papa for many more years to come.
I'll never forget what you guys all went through during that time - Steve's a fighter, and it's so good to hear that he's cancer free! The weekly updates sent during those 2 1/2 years eather brought tears to our eyes or big smiles depending on the happenings that week. I'm so glad to hear you guys got to celebrate this Labor Day, there was good reason for it!
I think it's fantastic that you guys took the time and incentive to celebrate. I think a lot of times we forget that gratitude can be fun! Thanks for sharing his story.
Yeah, that party was a great idea. And that BBQ pictures says it all too. I don't think I knew he had survived Melanoma 10 years ago too. Wow. Paul and Seth especially both know what it's like to think they may not see their parents much longer. I'm glad that they both do get that chance!
Thanks for sharing. I like the reminder of miracles happening too.
Denise that made me cry, good for him!
What a blessing! Miracles do happen and unfortunately but fortunately you guys have wittnessed this first hand. What a great family you guys have!
Yeah! Happy to see him cancer free. Thanks for sharing.
This is such a heartfelt post, thanks for sharing! :)
Thanks for sharing such an uplifting story and for a reminder of how precious and wonderful life and family are. That little Luc of yours is pretty cute too. :)
Post a Comment