Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I JUST HAD A BABY, OK!!!

Well I did it. I ran that silly 5K that I thought was such a good idea a couple months ago. Needless to say with my crazy life I didn't get in as much training as I had hoped but it was definitely more than I would have had I not decided to announce to the world that I was going to do this. Thank goodness for pride. I did finish a couple minutes ahead of my goal but I was still slower than about 80% of the people out there. Next time I do a race 2.5 months after having a baby I'm going to make a t-shirt that says "I just had a baby so quit snickering about my turtle-like pace" Is that too much for a t-shirt? And now that I think about it since I was behind everyone else how are they going to see it? I could put it on the front of the shirt and hope that some of them come back to finish line after they're done showering and having breakfast, to see me finish.

On a much more inspirational note, my awesome father in law ran the 5k as well. He had a very serious and incredibly courageous bout with cancer the last few years. He was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma about 2.5 years ago. At the time he was training for a marathon (I'm guessing it would have been his 5th or 6th marathon.) The cancer nearly took his life and he spent a lot of time in the hospital before and after a stem cell transplant. So him being out there running was a miracle for us. We are so grateful to have him with us and see him back out running. (OK I know I should have started with that rather than complaining about my sorry life but at least I ended on a good note, right?)

6 comments:

Erin said...

Way to go, Denise! At least you did it! What courage! :)

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

Way to go! I've thought of running a 5k someday, guess we'll have to wait and see if it actually happens!

Hall Family said...

Way to go you!!! And way to go your father-in-law!! You both better be proud of yourselves! It's not easy having a baby, and it's definitely not easy having cancer...so Good job!

Hall Family said...

your daily quotes are hilarious!! Your kids really do say the "darnedest" things!!! (by the way,do you post each and every quote, or is it on a random pick?)

Marie said...

The turkey trot was 6 weeks after I had Grace. But I was totally not as cool as you. 4 weeks post birth I called the doctor to see if I could run it, and they said sure. So I went to MCC track and ran the slowest mile of my life. (I think Alan, who was walking with Grace, lapped me a couple times)I decided I didn't need to run the turkey trot that year.
You are my hero. Go Denise!

Amy said...

That's awesome. Congratulations!