Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Walter

I dated a guy in high school named Walter... what a name. He went by Walt but still, how nerdy can you get, he wasn't, but it's hard to get past the name. I was always embarrassed to tell people my boyfriend's name. It just seemed so dorky and I could imagine the image that popped in their heads when I said it.

Seth on the other hand is a pretty cool name and I've always thought that I was married to a pretty cool guy. Nothing too nerdy about him or his name. So this week when he went to the doctor to be tested for asthma and allergies I didn't think it would change my views of his coolness.

We already knew he had pet allergies (he comes close to dying everytime we visit my parents' dog inhabited house) but I had no idea how much he resembled the fiance in Sleepless in Seattle, who's name by the way is Walter! After pricking his back with 49 different allergens, Seth swelled up like Martin Short in Pure Luck. Here is Seth's list of allergens:


Mountain cedar
fremont cottonwood
orchard grass
box elder
arizona ash
olive
mulberry
bermuda
yellow dock
june grass
chinese elm
cypress
cultivated oats
mesquite tree
ponderosa pine
english plantain
kochia
rabbit bush
desert ragweed
lens scale
spiny pigweed
wormseed goosefoot
shadescale
lambs quarter
mugwort sagebrush
common sagebrush
western ragweed
short ragweed
russian thistle
careless weed
aspergillus fumigatus
caldosporium

penicillium notatum
blattella germancia
feather mix (goose, chick, duck)
cat dander/hair
dog dander/hair
horse dander/hair
guinea pig hair
histamine


So now I'm trying to deal with the fact that I'm married to a nerd. I love him just the same but I think it may say something about me. Maybe I'm nerdier than I think I am. If I have to be a nerd or if my husband has to be one I just wish we were those smart nerds that made lots and lots of money and couldn't care less if people thought we were nerds because we could afford really expensive pocket protectors and calculators. But we're not those nerds. We're the nerds who have to readjust our budget to account for new prescription expenses! Good thing I love my hubby so much. I just need help adjusting to my new found nerdiness.

10 comments:

Janalee said...

Walter is my dad's name. Thanks.
not really. Wow that's a ton of stuff to be allergic to, what a nerd!

Shannon said...

Does he have to live in a bubble now?
In college there was this guy that liked me named Barkum(like a dog barks and um at the end) I felt the same way when people would ask about him.

Marie said...

All I can say is I am grateful they make the drugs to help us nerds. I went to the doctor about a month ago for lovely allergies. None of the meds I tried over the years worked, so the doctor prescribed 4 different prescriptions. The concoction made life bearable again! Yeah for drugs!

Allie Harrison said...

I seriously can't stop laughing!!! I know I shouldn't it's really sad for Seth, but WOW that's a list! I remember Walt actually, and I remember there was a problem with color tie he wanted to wear to prom or something. Anyway the whole thing reminds me of this scene in When Harry met Sally and she is talking about her "good sex" with Sheldon and Harry says it couldn't have been good because of the name. Good times!

Breanne said...

Swollen like 'Pure Luck' huh? Poor, poor Seth. That IS quite the list.

And by the way, I dated a guy in college with a name I hated too. I was embarrassed about it too. And my family would say it in this certain way; I still can't think of him and his name without thinking of it the way my family said it. And I'm not saying the name b/c it's not THAT uncommon. So I'm afraid it really will be someone's dad's name ... er brother's name or somethin...

Shannon said...

Breanne, now we have to know the name! Go on now offend someone:)

Lynette said...

that is too funny! If it makes you feel any better, Scott is a major nerd too. Recently he has been cooking because I am never home, and he is "building" an excel spreadsheet with all the dishes he knows how to make and their ingredients. When he tells it what meals he will be creating each week it will automatically spit out a grocery list of things he needs to buy! I love it:) IT is so cute!

Breanne said...

Ronnie. There it is.

Said rONnie (whiny emphasis on the 'on' part)...

Lynette, can we have that excel spreadsheet too? Haha, what would we have to pay? That is so cool!

Denise said...

Seriously, Lynette, he could market that thing. I'll be dropping off my list of meals and ingredients this week so he can get started on mine!

Bianca said...

I knew a lady who had a big BINDER w/meals. It covered the ENTIRE year. I thought she was crazy. She would have meals planned by week and broke it down into a grocery list. So all she had to do was grab the list and go shopping. Doesn't sound so crazy now.....