Friday, August 31, 2007

Terrible Twos?

Whoever coined the phrase "terrible twos" did so before their child reached the age of three. I watched as my siblings and friends struggled through that dreaded second year with their children. I sat back and listened to their complaits, all along feeling proud of my sweet child who wasn't prone to fits or breakdowns. I wondered secretly "is she perfect or am I really good?", knowing that the latter was probably not the case I deemed her an angel. We danced through meadows of blossoming flowers and skipped about giggling together.

Ok maybe it wasn't quite like that but it sure feels like that's how last year went now that we've reached the "troublesome threes" (a phrase I was unaware of until recently.) I love McKay. 85% of the time (that number is slipping by the day) she is sweet and happy. But the other 15-20% of the time it is nearly unbareable. How can such a tiny, beautiful, sweet, girl turn into such a monster in a split second. Its a transformation usually reserved for sci-fi or horror stories. I don't have the time or energy to even try to expand on the irrationality of her "moments." Screaming "I want Mama" and when I walk in the room "go away, I want mama." OK. Whatever you say.

Does my three year old need Prozac? This can't possibly be normal. Maybe I need Prozac? If it last much longer we're all going to be medicated in some way or another.

Gotta go, she's crying uncontrolably because Seth just changed the channel for about 10 seconds.

Did I mention that my almost 2 year old is absolutely loving this? She has a knack for knowing exactly which buttons to push and I honestly believe that she has a little remote control with a button that says "make sister scream uncontrolably."

2 comments:

XO said...

Wow - I really am sorry, but I'm still sitting back with my happy-go-lucky 4 month old. I'm sure the future hold much for me. If she's this moody now, just imagine the teenage years! or, wait, that's probably not a good idea.

Anonymous said...

I hear it is the terrible twos and horrible threes. I think there is some truth to that. Who knows with these kids. Mine are so moody. But then again so am I, so what can I say.