Thursday, August 23, 2007

Sprouts.... All by myself

Seth worked from home today and when he had about 30 minutes left I realized that I should probably run to Sprouts and get some fruit that my children had been begging for all week. I put on my shoes and then started the daunting task of getting shoes on both the girls and getting them to get to the car in less than 15 minutes (there's so much to see between our apartment and the car, a set of stairs, lots of rocks, one tree stump and more rocks.) McKay promptly told me she was going to stay home with daddy and then Kimball followed suit plopping herself firmly on the floor next to McKay. I allowed hope to enter in for a millisecond before informing them that even though daddy was home he was still technically working so they needed to come. I was met with firm resistance and then hoped even more deeply that my wonderful, dear husband would make an offer I wouldn't refuse. In the end I walked out the door alone and dreamed of all that the child-free shopping trip would hold. I found myself driving a little bit slower than normal, I could actually hear the songs on the radio and started singing along and playing my air drums on the steering wheel. This was going to be a trip not soon forgotten. I love Sprouts, actually it wasn't Sprouts it was the other one that looks just like Sprouts and has the same sales but a different name, wait its coming to me, something Market, Sunflower Market. I love it because I love fresh fruits and veggies and they have great sales. Peaches are .99/lb this week... mmmmm yummy. But I'm not an all natural, granola-y type of person. I buy most things because of their price not their content. Organic=Expensive in my book. But being alone in a grocery store with no children to tug at your pants or teeter precariously out of the cart while reaching for the pyramid of tomatoes is enlightening. I didn't buy much more than I normally would have but let me tell you I looked at nearly every product in that store. I slowly perused the aisles like a chef in search of that perfect ingredient to finish off a gourmet meal. It was amazing. I loved it. My patience is renewed and I have fresh nectarines, what more could I ask for? Coming home to my precious angels makes it even better. (oh and Seth cleaning the kitchen and living room didn't hurt the mood either!)

3 comments:

Lynette said...

You are so funny! I love reading your blog, it makes me laugh everytime!

Marie said...

Denise,
I just wanted you to know this post was very inspiring to me. I can't tell you how many times I get the adds, see the amazing produce prices for Sunflower, and then go to by the expensive stuff at Fry's because it's what I've always done.
But not this week. I went to Sunflower and got lots of yummy produce without killing my debit card. Thanks Denise!

Marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.