I am beginning to think that having a plan for a day and actually preparing myself for it is a recipe for disaster and disappointment.
Last night Seth and I had a meeting. It went longer than we thought it would and subsequently the kids got to bed an hour later than normal.
I knew this would make for a grumpy, uncooperative morning for at very least one child. So I made a plan.
I got up a bit earlier than normal and with extra love and kindness I gently coaxed my children through the morning ritual. I made sure their little tummys were full before asking them to do anything. I set their clothes out on their beds and then let them watch their favorite show (H2O something or other, bad acting with really annoying Australian accents) and then proceeded to get myself ready since I had to go straight to a Dr's appointment after dropping them off at school. (I was so nice I didn't even make them ride the bus.)
Luckily Luc slept late. I got myself ready and then started to wake Luc up to get him dressed.
And that's when it all went bad. Luc was fine. Kimball on the other hand was being over taken by the evil forces of "not-enough-sleep." Out of nowhere she started crying uncontrollably. She didn't want to go to school. She just "wanted her mommy!"
At this point I had 20 minutes to get them in the car and get them to school. She could not be consoled. I offered all sorts of incentives and consequences. And in the end said "fine stay home from school but you can't go bowling tonight for Family Night." Oh the sadness and heartbreak. How could a mother make a child go to school or take away bowling. The injustice!!
I loaded them up and off we went. I said a silent prayer, pleading with my Heavenly Father, please let her get control before we get to school.
My last ditch effort would be to make her laugh. Kimball loves laughing. She loves things that are inappropriately funny and/or gross. So I began to make "bum jokes". Nothing too bad, just your run of the mill "does my bum look big to you?" humor. She was not amused. I consigned myself to the fact that I would not only have an extra child home but I would also being spending the evening trying to justify the fact that she and I were home while the rest of the family was off having fun.
Then McKay stepped in. She took "inappropriately funny" to the next level and completely crossed the line. She used the "p" word. Yep she said penis! It was so shocking coming from her sweet little mouth that I totally laughed out loud. And that was the end of Kimball's sadness. She was instantly laughing just as hard as she had been crying a second earlier. I do not condone such actions but bless her little inappropriate soul, McKay saved my day.
No comments:
Post a Comment