Monday, February 1, 2010

5 Minutes...

What can I post in 5 minutes? I am way too long winded for a 5 minute post but that's my goal this week. 5 minutes each day.

Parent/Teacher conferences last week and I feel like I must be an unconcerned/under-worrying mother. I never know what to say or ask. Her teacher probably thinks I don't care. But it's kindergarten for goodness sakes. I do have one concern but it's more of a parenting concern than a school concern. So rather than pose it to her teacher I will pose it to all of you experienced and talented parents.

How do I help McKay feel good about herself and ignore bratty little kids that say things like "you look like a baby" and "your hair is funny today"? I don't want to be a doting mother who goes to the school and confronts the 5 year old bully but I do want her to be able to stand up for herself and more importantly be able to let it all just roll off her back. How do I protect my baby with out babying her?

Ok 5 minutes almost up.

To Do Today: (in no particular order)
Clean bathrooms
Make bed and put away the piles of laundry on my bedroom floor

Sweep and Mop
Read scriptures
Make Valentines for RS
Love and cuddle my little ones

3 comments:

Amy said...

Ah, Kindergarten drama.
When my kids bring that home I don't overreact. (at least not out loud, in my head I do). I say things like, "Man, that wasn't nice. He must've been having a bad day." HOWEVER, I have contacted my children's teacher and even the principal once when I thought it was bullying and needed to be addressed. Good luck Neese. p.s. How could anyone pick on McKay?

Garretts said...

I'm sure McKay's teacher does not think you don't care about her education. In fact, as a teacher I would ALWAYS start my parent-teacher conferences with "Do you have any questions about your child's progress?" It's just a standard thing that ALL teachers do. And seriously, I liked the parents better if they said they had no concerns!! It made it for a shorter conference so I could go home quicker!! If she's doing well, and her report card shows good progress there's nothing for you to feel guilty over.
Juliana

Janalee said...

oh my gosh, that's my exact attitude at conferences too! all the other parents have all these pressing concerns and I'm like 'I'm sure everything's going fine, I'd hear something if it weren't'.

Stuff like that wouldn't bother Talia, but it totally bothers more-sensitive Abbey. It is hard and you do want to go butt in and tell the brat to quit being a chump. But better to arm your own kid to deal with it. You can offer some comebacks (if Art were coaching the child, they'd be mean, retaliating ones) for her to make. Tell her to ignore the child. I don't even know. I never have good answers for this stuff. hopefully someone will.