Santa Dilema
Help me out here. Our basic rule is that we spend about the same amount of money on each child for Christmas. Kimball asked for something and we got it... on a really good deal. It is a BIG present. As in physically it takes up a lot of space. And it comes in two parts so there are 2 big boxes. McKay's "wish" costs about the same amount but is relatively small. I didn't think about this but Seth is worried that when they see the two gifts McKay is going to feel bad and wonder why her gift is so much smaller. What do I do?
8 comments:
Um...wrap McKay's gift in a really big box?
If it were me, I'd probably buy another gift to make it "even". Last year, the older kids got IPODS and they (more or less) understood why they had fewer "gifts" than the younger kids. We had to remind them that their gifts were all of approx. equal monetary value. But, younger kids don't quite understand that. Hmmm...if you don't want to buy anything from a store...look on craigslist or some garage sale. LOL :)
We haven't had any problems with that...we really don't do the price thing, since my kiddos don't really notice a difference..I"m sure we'll do it when they get older. IF the "Big" present might pale the other gift...maybe add something else to the small gift to "jazz" it up...so there arent' any arguments...I'm not sure??
tell her to suck it up or next year she gets coal!!!
Ok, I just thought of an idea, but I don't know if it's way too sneaky? ... Your friend saying that her kids just don't notice or pay attention to present comparisons made me wonder - what if you buy an extra little gift (whatever seems appropriate to make them seem more equal), but throw it in a gift bag in your closet & see how their reactions go. If McKay seems to do just fine, then return that extra gift the next week. If she seems a little upset, then just act like you forgot one for her (or wait, these are from Santa?) & go grab it!
(crazy idea huh, the advantage is it would help you figure out how your kids react to what seem like present differences and makes it so you don't set yourself up for trying to make all the gifts SEEM super equal in future years.
Is this manipulative? I don't know.
(And I also don't know how to summarize this in a concise way!)
GO YOU ON 3 MILES!! I don't like running either & I think that's impressive!
... How are you guys? It's been too long for comfort :)
Not really fair. Even if you did get it for a really good deal, it was still more expensive than the other. I hope I'm making sense. Just because you paid the same doesn't make them equal in value.
I would get another gift to help balance it out. Good luck!
It's never too early to teach the kids "yes dear your brother/sister is our favorite"
lol
Post a Comment