Sunday, May 31, 2009

House Hunt from ...

I'm tired. I'm sad. I'm frustrated. I know we haven't been looking for all that long but it's just not as fun as I thought it would be. I guess I had this dream of going to look at lots and lots of really cute houses and then deciding which one was cutest and then buying it. Apparently that's only how it works if you're super rich or just semi-rich, but you definitely have to be some level of rich.

We have looked at a lot of trashed houses, some ok houses and very few that we actually have liked enough to at least attempt to buy.

We put two offers in 6 weeks ago. They were both short sales so we knew we would be waiting a while to hear back. We heard back on one of them just 5 days later, they accepted our offer and as crazy as it sounds we were just sick about it. We thought it was what we wanted but as soon as they said we could have it we changed our minds. Apparently not the one for us. So we put all our hopes into the other one and about 3 weeks ago we put earnest money down on it so that they wouldn't accept any other offers while we were waiting for the bank to look at the offer. It was full asking price so we thought we were in pretty good shape.

Yesterday, after 6+ weeks of waiting the seller's agent informed us that the owner has just decided to walk away from it. She's already moved out but doesn't want to deal with the hassle of a short sale so instead of waiting for the bank to accept our offer she's just taking it off the market and letting it go into foreclosure!!! WHAT? Does that make any sense to anyone out there?

So unless by some miracle we can get the bank to work with us we're back to square one. Ugh!

I've promised myself that I will quit sulking about this by tomorrow morning so this is my last little rant. And I'll wake up cheery and ready to conquer this crappy housing market one smelly old trashed house at a time.

8 comments:

Larry and Karri said...

Bummer! I've been there and I know that the whole up-and-down rollercoaster stuff with buying a house isn't fun. However, every time I've REALLY, REALLY wanted something SO MUCH and I didn't get it when I wanted it, I ended up getting something way better later on down the road... better than I could have ever imagined in the first palce. So if things aren't panning out right now, just take comfort in knowing that the Lord is aware of the desires of your heart & he probably has something much better in store for you than you realize. :) In the meantime - good luck and hang in there!

The Lewis's said...

oh denise, that is so crappy. well, if it's a crappy house that you buy count me in to install/paint anything and we'll MAKE it cute!

Anonymous said...

there is a house that just went up for sale across the street from us. i don't know how much it is going for but i think it is the same floor plan as ours!

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

how frustrating. keep your head up though, when the right house comes along everything will run so smoothly that you'll know it's the right place and the right time. We were in the same boat with a place when we were buying our townhome. It was a short sale, in Draper (beautiful can I just say) - we waited for 6 wks to hear back from the bank and in that time we had stopped looking. we were the only offer that was put in, it was accepted & then declined a day later. it was a good thing though cause it was a few days later that we found out place in Sandy that we loved SO SO SO much more. Hopefully the same will go for you guys.
Oh & if you can't find anything decent down there, there are like 6 really nice & cute homes for sale in our 'hood' & for pretty cheap too - you should take a look :)

Patrick and Kiana said...

I feel your pain!! We have been looking at houses since Jan. We have had simalar luck, we have put in 5 offers and so far 4 of them have fallen through and each time was a bummer because we thought we really wanted each house. So now we are waiting on what seems the "Perfect house" which is ofcourse a short sale because they all are! But just like your friend Karri said each house atleast for us has gotten better than the last and you realy have to have faith :) But lets be honest it is hard to stay optimistic! Hang in there.

Breanne said...

I'm sorry for you guys! That does majorly stink!!!

We had a particular incident that we still can't even think about back when we were house hunting a few years ago (it was too good to be true - and that was the truth! -- our offer had been accepted on a beatiful home that was listed $75,000 under value - realtor hadn't done enough research; after all their neighbors asked them if they were crazy for selling their house so low, they found a legal way/mistake on our realtor's part to sneak out of the deal - we had gone through home inspection & everything - we were SICK over it --- but we LOVE where we're at now & I always just figure there were people we needed to meet over here or things like that!! - never would have met you guys either had we moved into the other :) )


But BACK to YOU - that does just stink. Karri is right, something better for you will come along if this one doesn't work out, but it is hard when you get your heart even somewhat set on something (even when you didn't think you had it set!) ---
Good luck with it all!

p.s. Have you chosen that fabric yet? Is that anything you want to do this week or weekend? Let me know!

paula said...

House hunting is not as slick as it is on tv. We were buying a house in Payson with my parents and we looked at dozens, some real dumps, past 'fixer upper' stage. When I thought I couldn't look anymore, we finally found one and they are very happy there.
Hang in there, I suggest you keep praying, you will feel when it is right and things will work out.
Have a piece of chocolate, that will make you feel better, for about a minute:D

Rasmussons said...

amiga, no te deprimas. Como dicen tus amigas en el post, la casa que es para ustedes va a llegar. Es dificil tener paciencia, pero la recompensa llega al paciente. I love you nana, you'll be in our prayers.