Sunday, January 19, 2014

SUNDAY 01/19/2014

I am learning to love Sundays.  They are a little bit like a trial that you go through and in the middle of it you think there's absolutely no way that you'll ever survive it, then after it's done with you look  back and go "hmm that wasn't so bad, I could totally do that again."  Do you say that with trials?  Maybe not trials, maybe a hard work out or something.  Quite obviously I haven't perfected this little comparison but you get the point.

Sacrament meeting is usually the longest hour of the week.  Excuse me hour and 10 minutes.  Lets not forget those last 10 minutes that quite often are actually 15-20 minutes and somehow longer than the first hour all together.  Today wasn't the worst ever.  As the girls get older they're less trouble and more help but boys are a little more wiggly (wigglier?).  

Luc is almost 6 and I am convinced that he should be able to sit for longer than 3 minutes at a time.  He has yet to prove that ability.  He is constant movement.  And constant questions and comments.  

Jensen is just so mobile all the sudden and he can get himself 4 rows up before we even realize that he's gone.   It's like a fun little surprise for whoever ends up sitting within striking distance as a 1 year climbs under your feet and drools all over your shoes.  

And this is the best part, Nash has decided that its really fun to imitate his baby brother.  So if Jensen lets out a little baby squeal Nash then lets out a not-so-baby squeal and laughs hysterically.  

I'm sure people wonder why we don't sit back in the overflow.  I had someone ask me once when my children were going to learn to sit through sacrament meeting.  It crushed me a little bit and we did sit in the back for a couple of weeks.  It was awful.  Not only was it uncomfortable on those hard metal chairs but I felt so disconnected from the meeting and in turn the messages and spirit that was being shared.

I don't go to church because my family is perfect or anywhere near it.  I don't get 5 young children ready on Sunday mornings because it's fun.  I do it because its where I want my kids to be.  It's what I know they need to be learning.  It's where they'll find their strength and their courage when times get hard.  And it's how they'll know that even though its a really long hour, its also the best hour of the week.  

Today was not our best sacrament meeting ever.  I think we took kids out like 5-6 times.  The first one before the bishop even finished welcoming us to the meeting.  Jensen tried to chuck both of his shoes at the family behind us.  And at one point Nash was playing with all of his Toy Story toys in the aisle.  He just sat down and set up shop like he was right at home.  But we were there.  And we've always got next week to try again.  

2 comments:

Leah said...

Sacrament, it's hard. I had to take out one of my 11 year olds on Sunday. It certainly wasn't our best Sacrament ever.

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

Amen... Just so you know, B (at 7) still can't hold still for anything. That kid never stops moving, it's rather exhausting to watch him! And he seriously changes 'activities' during sacrament meeting every 5minutes because he's bored...unless we give him a phone, then he's glued the entire meeting. Too bad I've banned the kids from playing with phones at church!