When Seth and I were first married we lived in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment (didn't we all?) It was a whopping 680 square feet
After McKay came along we had this awesome little nightly ritual where we would put her down in her pack-n-play in our room and then when we were ready for bed we'd very carefully pick up the pack-n-play and shimmy it through the bedroom door out into the eat-in area of kitchen. At least once a week we would bump up against a wall and wake her up. It was a fun little process. Every night.
We have gradually made our way up to a bigger home. Still not huge but easily 2.5x as big as that first quaint little establishment.
A few weeks ago on a Saturday while we were doing our weekly big clean (something we try to do every Saturday) I remembered how Seth and I used to do something similar when we were first married. We would deep clean pretty much every Friday or Saturday. We would clean that tiny little one bedroom/one bath apartment for 2+ hours. Two hours! What in heaven's name would take us two hours? And how dirty/messy could it have possibly been? Two of us cleaning for 2 hours and no children of mess making age. Do you know what my house would look like now if I had 4 uninterrupted man hours of cleaning a week? I don't know if our housekeeping skills were seriously lacking or if our standards were significantly higher, maybe a little of both.
Oh how our lives have changed. In so many ways. 10 years and 5 kids makes a huge difference.
Today I cleaned/laundered/tidied the house pretty much all day long. Add in diapering, feeding, kissing, hugging, channel changing, homework helping, etc, etc and the house looks better but far from amazing.
My new mantra "It's better than it was!"
2 comments:
Denise, you are awesome!
I agree! You are awesome!! I know I think back to those days and think: oh boy! I didn't have clue and yet how simple were those days
Post a Comment