Wednesday, November 17, 2010

California Day 1

Too much happened today to not write it down before I forget it all.

We left Phoenix at 4:00 am in an attempt to get on the road with sleeping children. They slept until we made it to the gas station where I realized I had forgotten the RedBox dvd I had rented specifically for this trip. So we went back home where I realized I had not forgotten it and it was in the van all along. By then of course all three kids were awake. So off we went, again.

The kids slept off and on for the first few hours.

We stopped at the General Patton Memorial Museum. It's about 20 miles outside of Indio California, literally in the middle of nowhere. It's a little dirt road with about 15-20 tanks behind a chain link fence. We showed our respect by letting Luc pee in the dirt next to road (the real reason for our stop in the first place) and then I enjoyed a moment watching dad and son ooohing and ahhhing at the sweet tanks while the rest of us waited in the car.

About 30 minutes outside of Anaheim Kimball cried out in frustration "where are we going and when will we be there!" Then she fell asleep. We got here about 3 hours before we had planned. I'm not sure if we thought it would take that much longer or we just didn't do the math right, but we drove in to town at about 9:30 am and had no plans until it was time to check into the hotel. A traveling husband does come with it's privileges. We called the hotel and after checking our reservation (seeing Seth's "status") they said our room would be ready for us as soon as we got here. And this has got to be the most kid-friendly hotel I've ever been in. Could have something to do with it being a couple miles from Disneyland but the staff has been amazing.

We got into the room and you would have thought that the kids were already at Disneyland. They opened every drawer and closet and were amazed by it all. It was so much fun to watch them be so overjoyed by such little things.

Only problem with hotel is that the pool is closed until tomorrow or Friday and that was a major part of the day's plans. But not to worry the staff assured us that we could just go across the parking lot to the Hyatt and use their pool. We were promised it was all worked out. So off we went. Us and our 3 kids plus Kilian (our exchange student) and our friends with their 2 kids all decked out in our pool gear and the kids all hyped up and ready for some pool time fun. We walked across the parking lot and could almost feel the air change. Posh. That's all I can think of to describe this hotel. We asked the bellboy about the pool situation, he had no idea but suggested we check inside. In we went. Oh boy, I felt like I'd just walked into another world. Business men/women everywhere and it was quiet, really really quiet, until we got there that is. I think we talked to 5 different people before anyone knew about this little arrangement. We finally got a key and feeling seriously out of place went in search of the pool. McKay tugged on my shirt and said "mom, I kind of feel bad that we have to borrow their pool." Ya me too. Then Luc tried to pee right next to the hot tub. I'm pretty sure the Hyatt is no longer offering their pool to the Marriott's guests after today.

We spent the afternoon "resting" and just hanging out in the hotel. We decided to go to Downtown Disney for the evening. Seth and Kilian took Luc and McKay down to the lobby with our friends' kids and I ran back to the room to get my purse. As I was waiting for the elevator I hear screaming and thought "oh please don't let us get kicked out of this hotel, my kids are SO loud." When I got down to the lobby McKay is crying hysterically and surrounded by staff and guests while Seth is trying to comfort her. She had her hand on the elevator door as it reached the lobby and as the door opened it kind of just sucked her hand in with it and then got stuck. Seth had to pull her hand out to get the door to stop opening. She was not only in pain but traumatized by the fact that she was stuck there. Poor thing. Her hand is still swollen and red but she can bend all her fingers and I think she'll be ok. The staff doted over her for the next 20 minutes giving her soda and chips and ice and basically everything she could need/want. Then they had to fill out an accident report. We left and on the drive over she asked about why they had to ask questions and write it all down. We tried to explain liability and all that jazz. She started crying again "oh mom I don't want them to have to waste their money because of me." Oh sweet, sweet McKay. They aren't wasting any money on you because they don't have to pay for anything and besides that, Marriott has lots and lots of money. "Oh they're rich, ok." Then she was fine.

Downtown Disney was really fun. Just shops and really expensive food but the kids loved it. There was a live band and McKay danced the night away. Literally. She danced and danced and danced. It was really cute.

They all fell asleep on the way back to the hotel and are sleeping like babies as we speak. And tomorrow, DISNEYLAND!!! (or Disney Channel as Luc likes to call it.) So excited.

My goal for tomorrow: actually take the camera out of its' case!

2 comments:

Amy said...

So much fun. Definitely need some pictures tomorow!!! Soak it up girl!

The Lewis's said...

I had no idea you were going. What fun! But your little pit stop at the General Patton Museum reminds me of that part in "Rat Race" where the Jewish family had to stop to use the bathroom and it ended up being a Neo-Nazi Museum dedicated to "(something) Barbie" the famous WWII Nazi. I'm imagining your trip going something like that.