Monday, May 17, 2010

Pain in the ...


Oh my achin' back!


My family is getting pretty sick of me saying that. It's my playful non-whining way of letting everyone around me know that I'm in pain without being too much of a pest about it.


All I want is a way to fix it without spending $75-$100/week (chiropractic) or having a million tests and/or surgery. Is that so much to ask?


Thus far my solution has been ibuprofen and ice packs. It's not working so great.


Let the chiropractic vs. traditional medicine debate begin.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Come for a visit. I'm married to a chiropractor with massage therapists in his office. We'd have so much fun, and he could fix your poor back!

Amy said...

I've had lower back issues. Once after lifting a gallon of milk from the bottom of my grocery cart. So, I say stretch, ice, take it easy, ibuprofen, and one or two chiro visits. Then when it is back to somewhat normal- work those abs.

paula said...

Okay, I can tell you what I have done when my lower back feels like it is "out". Now, this is going to sound a little silly, but bear with me cuz it does help.

I lie down on the bed on the opposite side of where it hurts and in my mind I talk to my back. I know what your thinking, she has finally slipped over the edge, but it really works. I tell it to release the pain and let it leave my body. I tell it to line up the way it should be and I imagine little fingers massaging where it hurts. I no longer have back issues. I used to do this every morning for about 10 minutes.

I also recommend ice several times a day either sitting or lying down, and rest (which I know you don't have lots of time for, but it will help)

Janalee said...

my dad also does mind-control stuff for when his back flares up. he swears by it. There's a book he loves called Healing back pain: The mind body connection.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0446392308
you can read the reviews on amazon. just an alternative to try.

XO said...

Have you tried an osteopath? I'd say they are generally a good compromise between the two - not sure if the insurance would cover it, but it might be worth looking into.

McKinley's said...

When I had back pain during my pregnancy 2 years ago, I went to a physical Therapist. Just like any other medical person, not all are created equal. I actually went to one that did not help much. But after asking around a bit I found a great one and she helped me so much. And a physical therapist might be covered by insurance, mine was. That is just my 2 cents of the debate.
glenna