Thursday, January 21, 2010

Check!

I have decided that I need to write my to-do lists on a monthly basis rather than daily. If I plan to do something (or a number of things) on a certain day it seems like it rarely happens. Somedays I get one or two of the listed items done. Somedays I end up with a checkless list staring back at me. Those are the days when I sit down and add all the other things that I did get done and put a nice big check next to them. That tends to help me feel validated in my day's accomplishments. And it's not just mundane things like folding the laundry or unloading the dishwasher, quite often it's things like getting to the store or going to the gym. At the start of the day I have every intention of doing those things but at the end of the day the minutes and hours have all expired and the cereal I was planning on buying is still sitting on the shelf at Fry's waiting to be bought. So today I will add "make cookies with Kimball" and "put new pictures in the frames" to the list just so I can check them off and "clean out the pantry" will be moved to tomorrow's list. And that's ok. Because eventually it will get done. Even if it is on a day when it's not actually on "the list"

3 comments:

Bianca said...

I so know what you are going through on the sodas. It's so hard. I lasted for maybe 12 hours. Try filling up a BIG jug of ice water. The icy cold drink gives you a little wake up boost. I drink it in the morning at work and give up around noon time because I'm so stinking tired. Caffeine runs through Madison's veins. Poor baby.
I'm with you on the To Do List. It seems like all I do is get home, make dinner or fold laundry and that's all that can be done. The combo of trying to get off the sweets and lack of having a tidy house is seriously making me grumpy. Good luck, it's a great goal!

Erin said...

I love check lists too! I love the sense of accomplishment when I can make that beautiful mark with my pen. However, like you, sometimes there is no check. I'm usually distracted by some little kids that live here. They tend to need this or that at any given moment -- sometimes all day long!

paula said...

I suggest putting it in pencil and not pen. If you do it, great. If it falls into the cracks and never gets done, erase it like it was never there.

I have to admit I love lists. My lists are always so unrealistic, a mile long and impossible to finish. I like a month at a time. Good idea.