
My Nana Betty passed away yesterday. Thank goodness for our last minute trip down there this past weekend. I just wanted to post a few of my favorite memories of her.
- When we were little she would pay us a quarter to weed her garden. It seemed like we were out there forever, hours on end. I'm sure it was more like 15 minutes and she ended up dishing out a couple dollars for those few minutes of peace.
- Driving in her car with her when she was at least 75 and a great-grandma many times over, we got stuck behind a slow driver and she says "get out of the way grandma" then turns to me and says "if I ever drive like that take my keys away!"
- Coming home from college for a quick weekend, arriving at 3 am to fresh baked banana bread and her waiting up to make sure we had everything we could possibly need in the middle of the night.
- In high school whenever I would have friends over to watch a movie or play games at around 11 she would wander in and say "isn't it time for all the boys to go home." I was always so embarrassed but now it just seems funny.
- After she got back from her mission in Philadelphia she would lock the doors as soon as you got in the car or as soon as you walked in the house. We lived at the end of a gravel road in little ol' Yakima and she was still paranoid and it was so cute. We would tease her that we couldn't go out to get the mail with out getting locked out.
- And going to the local drugstore in Wenatchee (where she lived for 60+ years) to get Cherry Lemon Sours at the soda fountain with her. On a good day we'd sit at the counter and watch them make the drinks. I hope that drugstore is still there when I go up for the funeral because I really feel like a Cherry Lemon Sour about now.
We sure will miss her but the past year she really hasn't been herself. I know that she is so much happier now and finally back home with grandpa.
8 comments:
Thanks Denisey! I will really miss her too. I remember all the trips I got to go on with them and all the fun dinners and Holidays we all had together. Just thinking about Nana and Grandpa's house in Wenatchee and all the fun we had there makes me tear-up a little.
Love ya cousin!
-Gretchen
I'm really sorry for your loss, evevn if it was kind of expected. I love the stories! I'm curious what a lemon cherry sour is now...it sure sounds yummy! And the locking doors...that sounds just like me--alan makes fun of me sometimes about it. And lastly, the "get out of the way grandma" is hilarious! She sounds like a great lady, who cared very much about you!!! :)
My favrite Nana memories involve Dani and me and lots of trouble. Liek when Nana and your mom saved the 2 of us from certain death when we tipped over and broke the headlight on your dad's motorcycle or when we backed her car out of the driveway. She was a great nana!
What fun memories! It's awesome that you could spend time with her last weekend. :)
Thanks Denise. All good memories. I will always remember that cupboard where she always had like 5 bags of marshmallows. And she always let us bake whatever we wanted. Plus that frog pinball machine that she told us over and over not to play with. And she had to have known we played with it every time we went downstairs. Plus, playing Charlie's Angels at their house and making BJ (the only boy) be Bosley. Good times. Good times!
Those were so sweet. The "get out of the way grandma" had to be my favorite. Enjoy the funeral.
Sweet, treasured memories. THanks for sharing them.
Denise - Thanks for the memories. My favorite "food" memory with Nana was driving out to Dusty's for a Dusty Burger. Man those were good! And Nana would take me out there just about anytime I wanted.
I also remember not being able to leave a glass on the counter for more than 2 seconds. I would get out a glass, set it on the counter, go to the fridge to get some milk and before I got back my glass would be rinsed and in the dishwasher.
I always loved playing Bosley, talking into a wood block for a walkie talkie. And what ever happened to the frog pinball game?
In case you are interested, I posted the video I made for the funeral on my blog. http://baldguyblogging.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment