
More confessions.... sometimes I tell Seth that I would really like to run a race with him (ok maybe not with him but at the same time as him.) Secretly I know it will never happen. I'm just too darn lazy and even beyond that too proud.
I am a fairly competitive person. I hate playing games if we're not keeping score, I just don't see the point. Heaven forbid I would win and nobody would know or acknowledge it because we didn't take the time to tally it all up. I joined a fantasy football league last year (big mistake, one more thing to distract me from the really important things in my life, ie my family.) Anyway, I stunk. It was awful. I didn't even make the playoffs, I swore I wouldn't waste my time again. I of course am wasting my time again and frustrating my life with players that are getting paid millions regardless of how many points they do (or in my case don't) tally up for me each week.

So back to the race and the prospect of running in one. We drove 3 hours to Show Low this past weekend and spent the night there before driving another 45 minutes to the thriving metropolis of Eagar, AZ. (I'm extremely curious of the population but for some reason "town limits" signs don't seem to boast the number of their offspring like they used to.) So we get to this quaint little down and I start to wonder what I am going to do with myself and my little busy bodies for the next few hours as we wait for daddy to be bussed up and then run down this beautiful 13.1 mile coarse. And this gets me thinking, why am I stuck here trying to entertain myself while I could be out there pushing my physical limits and enjoying this fresh mountain air? Over the next 2-3 hours of sitting in a stuffy car watching Happy Feet for the 3rd time in 24 hours, running to the beetle-infested, not so sanitary bathroom at the last possible moment and driving through the 4 square miles of town looking for some other form of entertainment for my toddlers, I had convinced myself that yes, I would do this. I would get myself ready (post pregnancy) to run a race. A good long one. I would cross the finish line and feel like I had accomplished something.

Seth ran the race in 1 hour 45 minutes. He was 8th over-all (in what he calls "a race too small to count the places" but this is me we're talking about, I'm even competitive for other people.) We sent the girls to the car with my angel of a brother-in-law (13 yrs old and the best babysitter around.) So as the girls watch another movie, Seth gets a massage, we sit and watch some more finishers come in, he chats with some people he knows from other races, rehydrates and eats. We go back to the car, get the girls out, wander back over to the finish line and wait for the raffle and awards to start. I of coarse am loving this part, people being recognized for their amazing accomplishments. Seth missed placing in his age group by about 20 seconds but I'm beaming with pride because he was right up there and we knew it.
So its about half-way through this little ceremony, as they're giving awards to the 50-59 year old women that I realize there are still people just finishing the race. They are crossing the finish line, red faced and panting, with no recognition whatsoever, nearly dead from their beautiful, scenic jog through the mountains. As you can imagine, I looked at these brave souls and admired them for such wonderful humility, they run because they love it and/or because its good for them and a great experience. I also realize that I am in no way a humble soul. If I were running that race I would still be crawling up the hill at mile 10 wishing I had never convinced myself that I could do this and dreading crossing that finish line hours after the real runners were back in their cars headed home with their little medals and sense of accomplishment.
So in the end even the fresh mountain air couldn't fool me into believing that I am in anyway serious when I tell Seth that I will do this. Its impossible. I will continue being a supportive wife and loving mother. I will be a runner/triathlete's wife and be content with nobody knowing that I could never finish a race like that.

5 comments:
Me either!! I am SO not a runner!
I could never do it! My mom (mrs marathon runner) keeps trying to get the whole family motivated and inspired to train and all run a race together - nah, I think I'll pass but I'm sure Randy might consider it someday.
But congrats to Seth for finishing right at the top!
Denise - It sounds like Seth had the easy part! Watching 2 kids for that long warrants an award for you :) Motherhood is definitely the ultimate marathon! Congrats to Seth, though, that's awesome.
Seth's time is great! Good job to Seth and to you Denise for hanging in with the girls:) Denise, I've ran two marathons and DANG motherhood is a lot harder than any race. Once you're done with the race the metal fight is over for a time but Motherhood is an eternal ongoing expierence with eternal rewards. To be a mother, you have to have lots of endurance! P.S. I didn't know you were so competitive-interesting little fact. I think it's cool that you're into sports. Very cool!
Post a Comment